About this Noteblog

Noteblog entries completed across the semester will include discussion of assigned readings, special topics, response to children's literature, and language arts activities. These will be assigned to help us prepare for class and/r to write about our ideas during or after class. For each of these entries, we should try to discuss ideas from multiple sources--class discussions, course readings, personal experiences, classroom-based experiences, and reading of children's literature. We are encourage (but not required) to experiment with a variety of modes of expression--narrative, poetry, essay, journalistic, stories, charts, diagrams, representations, and so on.

This noteblog is where we will post required entries and respond to the ideas we are seeing expressed in others' entries. Noteblog postings are due prior to the start of class. Responses to postings are due prior to the next week's class.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Reading in Different Ways...

Hey girls!

I decided that I'd get both my last week's blog and this week's done in one day, so ignore the fact that I'm putting both of them right after the other!...By the way, I thought our powerpoint presentation went smoothly! :)

Today in class we touched on the effect that reading in different ways might have while reading different types of literature. We worked in class with a poem about people of different color. You all will remember that we read the poem silently, Judy read the poem aloud to us, and we split the class in two and split the poems up line by line for each half of the room to read. Personally, I prefered to read this poem either silently or hear one person read it. To me, it feels distracting to take turns reading lines. I end up not really paying attention to what the poem is saying. One thing that I did think was effective about reading the poem as an entire class though was how we all read the final line together about holding hands. I think that the most meaningful way to read today's poem might be a build up of voices. One person would start by reading the first sentence, a second person would join in for the second sentence, and on and on until everyone was reading all together. Another way would be to have one person read each line individually until the last sentence, which could be read as a group.

There are so many ways to do it! I think it could be fun to do a unit on poetry and have the students each choose a poem and a way to present it to the class that they felt would fit that poem.

1 comment:

Kailey Costin said...

I totally agree! I feel that the each group going back and forth was too much and I couldn't focus on what the poem was about, but I'm glad that we had an opportunity to bring this type of literacy into the classroom. I really feel that with all that we talked about last class that poetry is a great way that people can express themselves though they aren't directly coming out to say it. This is a great idea for children who may come from a hard family life and isn't comfortable about sharing it with anyone, they could write it in a poem or draw a picture. I feel that there are so many things we can be learning about in this class that pertains to children expressing themselves through literature...hopefully we will learn this stuff eventually! :)