About this Noteblog

Noteblog entries completed across the semester will include discussion of assigned readings, special topics, response to children's literature, and language arts activities. These will be assigned to help us prepare for class and/r to write about our ideas during or after class. For each of these entries, we should try to discuss ideas from multiple sources--class discussions, course readings, personal experiences, classroom-based experiences, and reading of children's literature. We are encourage (but not required) to experiment with a variety of modes of expression--narrative, poetry, essay, journalistic, stories, charts, diagrams, representations, and so on.

This noteblog is where we will post required entries and respond to the ideas we are seeing expressed in others' entries. Noteblog postings are due prior to the start of class. Responses to postings are due prior to the next week's class.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Well I hope this is right

Okay ladies-- first thing...I used my sister's gmail to sign in so don't pay any attn to that. I'm not too sure what we are supposed to write about, I guess our presentation tomorrow is a good start. I basically summarized the article that I read which covered the basics of how children conceptualize literature and provided a lot of new vocabulary for describing these concepts. It also listed instructional techniques...which was lacking. The only real technique that Langer addresses is prompting questions. She lists ways in which to use those questions, but I feel like that is pretty basic stuff and was hoping for more techniques. I mean they talk about literacy and how vital it is for success in every other subject, but I don't feel like they give a lot of ways to alter instruction to ensure literary success. I guess this is a semi-negative view, but I just think, what is the point of learning about all the ways that children struggle with literacy if we can't do anything about it. Alright well, I guess that is it for now...see you ladies bright and early.

1 comment:

Kailey Costin said...

I really feel like my article and your's had similar things going on about different discussion things. My author had a bunch of examples of what a teacher should do but none telling how to go about it. I feel as though I learned only what an instructional conversation should be but not how I can actually implement that in a classroom, and what is appropriate for one grade that would not work for another.